Friday, January 2, 2009

How Great Thou Art - Stuart Hine

This is the song that the title of this blog comes from. I actually took the name from a book by Robert J. Morgan called Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories. 

I always liked this song. We used to close out every service with it in the church I grew up in. I have sang it hundreds of times but it never got old.

How Great Thou Art started as a poem called O Store Gud (O Mighty God), by Carl Boberg, a Swedish minister,  written in 1885. The poem was published and some time later was heard sung with an old Swedish melody. Stuart Hine, who was an English missionary in Russia, translated it to English, added verses to it, and modified the melody to become what we know today. The song was made popular in North America by George Beverly Shea at the 1955 Billy Graham Crusade in Toronto.

2 comments:

J said...

It has been quite some time since I have heard that particular song, but I definitely love it, too.

Walt Lewis said...

Yep, you're right. Buford would pray an then say. let's sing "How great Thou Art". You were paying attention!