Saturday, January 24, 2009

If Heaven Ain't A Lot Like Dixie - Hank Williams Jr

I thought about this song when we were teaching a series in Bible study on Heaven. Now, I wouldn't recommend  demanding to be sent to hell or New York City rather than a heaven that is not like Dixie, and I am sure that Bocephus wouldn't either. It's just a fun concept for a song. He has written a lot of entertaining songs that have made him very popular, but most of them are not deeply philosophical in nature, so don't expect much of that kind of commentary here today. He has written a song about inventing a machine that can fax a beer, one about how he was born to boogie, who could forget Buck Naked, defending his right to shed his clothes when he gets home from work. Then there's All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight which he modified into the extremely popular Monday Night Football theme. (I bet he never sings Buck Naked and Rowdy Friends back to back) I am just picking on the guy - I like all those songs. I felt a little sorry for him when he followed up with All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down. Seriously though, not all his songs are silly. I think he is a great songwriter. By the way, he has been a big supporter of the Republican Party for years, and I read that he announced that he will be running for U.S. Senate from Tennessee in 2012. I am looking forward to following that race when the times comes.
I think heaven will be a lot like Dixie, and the rest of God's creation. I think heaven will include the earth as God created it as well as the good things that we have done to modify it. I believe all the beauty of nature described in this song will be there, and the members of the Opry who are there will be able to use their talents to worship God. I have to say that I share Bocephus' sentiments about the South. I absolutely love it and I am proud to have grown up here. So, Hank, I think we are in luck. Although, there will probably be some, if only a few, hints of New York City as well.

If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I don't wanna go
If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I'd just as soon stay home 

I was one of the chosen few
To be born in Alabam
I'm just alike my daddy's son
I'm proud of who I am
I went through a lot of good women
And shook old Jim Beam's hand
If I never see the pearly gates
I've walked through the promised land 

If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I don't wanna go
If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I'd just as soon stay home
If they don't have a Grand Ole Opry
Like they do in Tennessee
Just send me to hell or New York City
It would be about the same to me 

I've got wild honey trees and crazy little weeds
Growin around my shack
These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at
All these pretty little southern belles 
Are a country boy's dream
They ain't got wings or halos
But they sure look good to me 

If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I don't wanna go
If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I'd just as soon stay home
If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I don't wanna go
If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie
I'd just as soon stay home
If they don't have a Grand Ole Opry
Like they do in Tennessee
Just send me to hell or New York City
It would be about the same to me 

3 comments:

Walt Lewis said...

Hank Jr is definitely an entertainer! I'd have to disagree with him about New York City. Never thought I'd like NYC, but I do. I wouldn't want to live there, but it's a cool place to visit! Now hell would be more like living inside an active volcano, so I'd draw a line there. Oh yeah, you said don't take it literally.

Good song - using exaggerated comparison for emphasis!

J said...

I've noticed a trend among people my age how they always put down Georgia--or anywhere they live for that matter--for no real reason other than it's "boring" here. Really, if you can't make a place a home, you've got some problems. It doesn't take much.

I used to hate the south and everything about it, but I definitely grew out of that. I love the south and all the stuff I used to rebel against when I was younger, I've come to find I actually really like. Like country music for instance. It's growing on me more as I listen to it. There are still a few things I just won't listen to, like Shania Twain or any of those artists my Nanna loves to obsess over--for whatever reason I have yet to figure out...

But yeah. I like my home, haha.

Jacob said...

I think NYC is pretty cool too, even though I have never been. I don't know if this song would have been written in our present time. In the 80's the South was about the only fan base country music had. Now it is worldwide. I found some videos from a French Hank III cover band on youtube last night.