Thursday, February 19, 2009

Here I Am - Emmylou Harris

















Emmylou Harris's first big break in the music industry occurred in 1971 when Chris Hillman (The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and the Desert Rose Band) saw her perform and recommended her to Gram Parsons (also of the Burrito Bros. and briefly The Byrds), who was looking for a female vocalist for his solo album. She ended up touring with him and his band The Fallen Angels until his death in 1973. Since then she has worked with musicians from all genres and has been responsible for launching the careers of others as well, including Rodney Crowell and Ricky Skaggs.

This song reminds me of a lesson in the Bible Study I am teaching called The Embraceable Mystery... God. The particular lesson states that while God is a mystery to us, He does want us to know Him, and I think that is what this song is all about. I believe this song is written from God's point of view. There is a great live performance on youtube from the Late Show featuring Paul Shaffer on piano. Click here to watch.

Here I Am - written by Emmylou Harris for the album Stumble Into Grace (2003)

I am standing by the river 
I will be standing here forever 
Though you're on the other side
My face you still can see 
Why won't you look at me
Here l am

I am searching through the canyon
It is your name that I am calling
Though you're so far away
I know you hear my plea 
Why won't you answer me 
Here I am

I am in the blood of your heart 
The breath of your lung 
Why do you run for cover 
You are from the dirt of the earth 
And the kiss of my mouth 
I have always been your Lover 
Here I am

I am the promise never broken 
And My arms are ever open
In this harbor calm and still 
I will wait until 
Until you come to Me 
Here I am


1 comment:

Walt Lewis said...

Sounds nice. Hope your bible study is going well!