Saturday, February 21, 2009

When The Angels Sing - Social Distortion




You may remember my comparison to Johnny Cash in my last post on Social Distortion. Johnny left no doubt as to what he believed. He performed at Billy Graham's Crusades, made a movie called Gospel Road about Jesus's ministry, and wrote Man In White: A Novel About The Apostle Paul (referring to Jesus as the Man In White). It is a surprisingly well written book. You should definitely click on the title to read about it at amazon.com.
I don't know exactly what Mike Ness believes. He writes a lot about prayer, heaven, hell, angels, etc. but I think maybe that is more because these things are part of the lives of people who are down and out. Maybe he is a very spiritual person. There seems to be more evidence against it, but I guess the truth is known only to him and God. Either way, I appreciate songs like this one.

*Related Posts*
Social Distortion - Ball And Chain

When The Angels Sing - Mike Ness for the album White Light White Heat White Trash (1996)
Watch the video

At last we meet again, dear God
Hear the angels sing
The funerals are nicer when we know you're there
When the angels sing

Sometimes I try so hard
To understand the things you do
Who am I to question you
When it all comes down
Hear the angels sing

Stand up strong feel the pain
When the angels sing
Love and death don't mean a thing
Til the angels sing

The prisoners pray when they're on death row
Hear the angels sing
The junky cries for love but it's all run out
When the angels sing

The sins of the world and it's cold on the streets
When you're all alone and the tears they start to fall
When it all comes down
Hear the angels sing

Chorus

Little by little day by day
I watch the children play
Cause life and death don't mean a thing
Til the angels sing

When the angel of death comes to looking for me
Hear the angels sing
I hope I was everything I was supposed to be
When the angels sing

There's gotta be a heaven
Cause I've already done my time in hell
And a little baby's born when it all comes down
Hear the angels sing

Chorus

Little by little day by day
I watch the children play
Cause life and death don't mean a thing
Til the angels sing

4 comments:

J said...

I always thought he wasn't Christian, but like you said, it's between him and God, I guess.

Walt Lewis said...

We may be surprised at who is in heaven and who isn't. I listened to the utube. His voice is like Barry McGuire (Eve of Destruction and later, Bullfrogs and Butterflies).

J said...

You may not even get this comment, but I was thinking that you might consider continuing this, haha...

At least, I think it'd be cool if, after you're done with the lesson-plan-thing you have now, you could maybe start doing something similar to this once in awhile. It's something you really do know a lot about.

Plus, who doesn't love music?

J said...

Thanks for the comment! I have never heard that quote before. Sounds like something inspired by the dystopic novels of the time or other works that reflect the same ideas as Nineteen-Eighty Four and The Handmaid's Tale. (Just two good works. I also like Farenheit 451.)

The interesting thing about educational systems is that you are bound to meet at least one educator willing to work within the system to work against it. I have one teacher in particular that sees the idiocy of much of what the school board does with its county's schools and it is nice to get the privelege of learning from a man who, not only is extremely intelligient, but also will teach you what he knows should be taught alongside of his assigned curriculum.

I am referring to Mr. Lee, my physics teacher, actually.