Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Love And Mercy - Brian Wilson


Brian Wilson is a legend in rock and roll music. He wrote, arranged, and produced most of the Beach Boys albums as well as sang on a lot of them. The Beatles have cited him as an influence. Not many people can claim that. I consider my self fortunate to have seen him live on the Smile tour. That was one of the best concert experiences I have had.

Over the past few years in my efforts to develop my spiritual world view and determine exactly what my opinion should be about the people around me and events that shape our culture, I keep coming back to the idea that God is Love. I know that anyone who has attended church even for a short period of time has heard this over and over. We have also heard that one of the purposes of Jesus living on earth as one of us was to set an example of how we should live.(The main purpose of course was to die on the cross to pay for our sins) Look at what Jesus said in John 14:7-12 7If you really knew me, you would know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." 8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." 9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. I realize that the context here is referring specifically to miracles but I think it can be applied to all that Jesus did. The Church as a whole needs to embrace this. We as individuals need to embrace this. Jesus loved everyone without discrimination. It is not our responsibility to judge, only to love. The Christian faith has a bad impression with the world today that I think only love can overcome. 

Looks like I pulled the old bait and switch on you, huh? Lured you in with commentary on Brian Wilson the preached to you. I think Brian has it right on with this one. He doesn't question how the people he sings about got in the position they are in, he just offers love, and mercy (which is not receiving the judgment you deserve).

*Related Posts*

Love And Mercy - written by Brian Wilson originally on the album Brian Wilson (1988)

I was sittin' in a crummy movie with my hands on my chin
Oh the violence that occurs seems like we never win

Love and mercy that's what you need tonight
So, love and mercy to you and your friends tonight

I was lyin' in my room and the news came on T.V.
A lotta people out there hurtin' and it really scares me

Love and mercy that's what you need tonight
So, love and mercy to you and your friends tonight

I was standin' in a bar and watchin' all the people there
Oh the lonliness in this world well it's just not fair

Hey love and mercy that's what you need tonight
So, love and mercy to you and your friends tonight

Love and mercy that's what you need tonight
Love and mercy tonight

Love and mercy

8 comments:

J said...

Look out, long comment coming through!

The passage from the Bible that you quoted reminds me of the lesson we had recently about how hard it can be for some people to grasp the "three-in-one" concept. Personally, I never found that to be a hard thing, but sometimes when you grow up in something, you kinda don't over complicate what you've been learning most of your life. But, of course, that makes me wonder whether or not I've given these things in my life enough thought.

I catch myself being judgemental, and I hate that. Lately, I have stopped myself from doing it. I just want to be a friend to people I come in contact with. You never know who really needs it.

And like the point you always try to stress to us in class: we'll never get anywhere without God. If it weren't for the Bible to help us shape our morals and ourselves as human beings, we'd never be able to make the decision to stop before we do something wrong. We'll never be able to hear God without first listening.

I like the lyrics to this song "You Found Me" by The Fray. I love The Fray and really want their new CD, so hopefully I can get it on iTunes soon. In this song, I like the lyrics because it opens with God as a human--just an average man standing at a street corner, listening while the other complains about how his life has gone nowhere and he's been in so much pain due to the fact that God was never around. After all of his complaining, towards the end of the lyrics he still feels resentment towards God's "neglegence," ending with the man still feeling unsettled in the lines, "Why’d you have to wait, To find me, to find me?". We all feel that way if we don't bother to listen and take the things God has left with us (Bible, etc.) as guidance to opening up a pathway to communication with him.

I don't pay much attention to bands/band members because some of them will actually disappoint you when you bother to. I just listen to the music. From this song, I would assume that he is a little frustrated with God or the concept of God and may not have much faith in it. Either that, or it is simply a confessional song of how he feels sometimes. We all can feel like God isn't around, and I remember when I felt that way, my whole life was a wreck. It's our fault though, not God's. He gave us the free will to listen or not listen. If we don't give him a chance we'll never see what He's actually doing for us.

"You Found Me" by The Fray
I found God
On the corner of First and Amistad
Where the west
Was all but won
All alone
Smoking his last cigarette
I said, Where you been?
He said, Ask anything.

Where were you
When everything was falling apart?
All my days
Were spent by the telephone
That never rang
And all I needed was a call
It never came
To the corner of First and Amistad

Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lying on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why’d you have to wait?
Where were you, where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, You found me

In the end
Everyone ends up alone
Losing her
The only one who’s ever known
Who I am
Who I’m not, and who I want to be
No way to know
How long she will be next to me

Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lying on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why’d you have to wait?
Where were you, where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, You found me

Early morning
The city breaks
I’ve been calling
For years and years and years and years
And you never left me no messages
You never sent me no letters
You got some kind of nerve
Taking all I want

Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lying on the floor
Where were you, where were you?

Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lying on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why’d you have to wait?
Where were you, where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, You found me

Why’d you have to wait
To find me, to find me?

Jacob said...

I know what you mean about just accepting what you are taught. I think everyone who grows up in a Christian home should at some point question why they believe what they believe. Parents and church leaders can and should teach a child everything they need to know, but until they decide to believe it for themselves, their faith is not as strong as it should be.

As for your song, many of the writers of the Bible expressed the same feelings toward God. Sometimes it takes tremendous faith to confront God honestly with the things that frustrate you about Him.

J said...

You'll always get the same answer though: He is always there.

I remember when I was in the process of questioning what I believe, I confused myself so much that I had to take a step back and breathe. I didn't go to church for two weeks and even after that short amount of time was missed, I felt like something was missing.

At first I thought that maybe I was caught with this feeling of obligation, but really, I felt like I was only hurting myself staying away from stuff that brought me closer to God.

I haven't second guessed anything since. I just take time to process what I've learned and if I have questions I ask. A lot of it just makes sense to me, I guess.

Walt Lewis said...

That was a dirty trick!! You know I like Brian Wilson! But God trumps everything! All true beauty is inspired by God. In Romans, God said that we should know Him just by the things He created. The sky, the waters, trees, animals and His most prized creation, mankind. To appreciate nature and not recognize the creator of it is to be blinded.
Ok, Brian Wilson. Everyone knows the weird stories about Brian Wilson. But if you listen to his music, it does not mimic his attitudes and actions, but his heart. If you only think of beach and car music, you missed his best stuff. Try Pet Sounds! This is not for Jacob. He knows all of this. "Love and Mercy" is Brian's theme song, not Little Duece Coupe or Surfer Girl.

You opened up a can of juicy worms!

J said...

Well, I've definitely not been one for much of the beach-y sounding songs, so no worries about me getting caught up in that part of his career. :D

Cheryl Lewis said...

You are absolutely right about God being love. He is that first and foremost. If we could wrap our minds around that, and live like we believe it, we could change the world!

Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us, and His love is made complete in us. IJohn 4:11,12

What you said about questioning what you are taught is also true. You can't have a true, strong faith unless you have experienced God's goodness for yourself. You can't live your life according to what you have heard from your parents or your church. It has to be real in your own life.

There is no greater joy for a Christian parent than to see their children accept Christ as their savior and have a personal walk with Him.

You are making a difference in this world, and you have touched my heart....

Jacob said...

I gotta say, aren't my parents awesome? Both of them added wonderful spiritual insight to this post. And I knew Dad would have some good input on Brian Wilson, and he didn't let me down. Mom, now that you have your profile set up, when are you going to start blogging?

J said...

Haha, yeah, your parents are pretty awesome, Jacob.