Sunday, December 7, 2008

Kris Kristofferson - The Last Thing To Go



One of my favorite memories as a child is watching country music programs with my grandfather. I remember a few times watching the Highwaymen (Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny  Cash). They were the coolest. I saw a lot of country artists that I liked, and just as much that I didn't, but the four of them, together or separate, were always good to me. Since then I have learned a lot of music from the other three and I need to learn more of Kris's.
This song is a dedication I assume to Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. It is about a friend that he wrote songs with who has passed on. The last verse is about God's love for us. It is why we were created, and it paid for our sins so we can be with Him in heaven. "Love is the reason we happened at all and it paid for the damage we've done and it bought us the freedom to fall into grace on our way to our place in the sun". The album This Old Road to me is a lot like Johnny Cash's American recordings. 

The Last Thing To Go - written by Kris Kristofferson from the album This Old Road (2006)

The angels were singing a sad country song
It sounded like something of yours
With a conscience as clear as the tear in your eye
And a heart beating golden and pure 

And I felt all the feelings we set down in song
Torn from the body and soul
And the fortunes that faded like stars into daylight
And tear drops we turned into gold 

Chorus
Every hard rocking wreck on the highway
Every heartbroken rule of the road
Every true thing we wrote on the wind is still singing
Love is the last thing to go 

Love is the reason we happened at all
And it paid for the damage we done
And it bought us the freedom to fall into grace
On our way to our place in the sun 

Repeat Chorus 

1 comment:

J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.