Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Little Willies - Lou Reed
















I watched a Jim Jarmusch movie today and remembered that The Little Willies mention him in this song. He says music is a big influence on his film work. Tom Waits was in the one I watched tonight called Down By Law. He was also in Coffee and Cigarettes along with Iggy Pop, Jack and Meg White of the White Stripes, RZA and GZA of Wu Tang Clan, and several big name movie stars. But I guess all this is for another blog, so Phil, you are going to have to review some Jim Jarmusch films. And the rest of you can read his reviews using the link in my Suggested Links section.

The Little Willies is a side project of Norah Jones'. That wouldn't be my first choice for a band name. I wonder how excited the guys were about it?  They released one album that contains 9 classic country cover songs and 4 original songs, and it is one that I can listen to all the way through and sometimes repeat.

Lou Reed - written by Lee Alexander, Richard Julian  and Norah Jones from the album The Little Willies (2006)

We were driving through West Texas
The land of beef and pork
Where they tan the hides of leather
We wear back in New York
In a pasture, along a roadside
Behind a brokedown shack
On the dusky side of evening
We saw a figure dressed in black

And we don't mean to sound like we're trippin'
But we swear to God
We saw Lou Reed cow tippin'
Cow tippin'

Hey Lou, "Is that you?"
She said as we pulled to the shoulder
He just said, "Go screw."
And then he turned and tipped one over
Under a spitshine Western sky
The color of boot varnish
Hey it's like Fellini
Actually I'm thinking more like Jim Jarmusch

And we can't say how much we've been sippin'
But we swear to God
We saw Lou Reed cow tippin'
Cow tippin'

I got cops on the cell
I said I got a little story to tell
Lou Reed is in the cow pen
They said, Oh no! Not again!

And we hope our perception isn't slippin'
But we swear to God
We saw Lou Reed cow tippin'
Cow tippin'

Cow tippin'
Cow tippin'
Cow tippin'
You really think that was Lou Reed?
Cow tippin'
I'm sure it was, he was wearing black Levi's
Cow tippin'
I thought he was a vegetarian
Cow tippin'
He's just tipping them over, he wasn't eating them
Cow tippin'
Oh
Cow tippin'

7 comments:

Walt Lewis said...

I'm not sure anymore. How much do you tip a cow?

Jacob said...

I guess it depends on how good their service is.

bigphillystyle said...

I've only seen one Jim Jarmusch film: Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), but I need to watch it again. I remember liking it, but not why I liked it. Netflix, here I come! Also, the Killers did a song with Lou Reed on their last B-Side album: Sawdust, just FYI.

bigphillystyle said...

I've only seen one Jim Jarmusch film: Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), but I need to watch it again. I remember liking it, but not why I liked it. Netflix, here I come! Also, the Killers did a song with Lou Reed on their last B-Side album: Sawdust, just FYI.

J said...

Ha, I actually saw Coffee and Cigarettes at my cousin's house once... I really don't remember anything about it though.

Jacob said...

I never saw Ghost Dog. I thought it looked dumb on the previews. But a lot of people have told me it is a good movie and that has got my interest up. I have it in my queue on netflix now so I will eventually see it.

Jacob said...

Coffee and Cigarettes is a compilation of conversations over coffee and cigarettes. It has been a couple of years since I have seen it too, I will be watching it again.